Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Savory Squid

Ever since my husband and I returned from our vacation to Andorra I've tried to recreate some of the decadent meals we enjoyed there.
Andorra is a tiny country of 67,000 residents located between Spain and France. It sits in the Pyrenees, which makes for splendid views of mountains from even the budget-friendly hotel rooms.
The country's residents speak Catalan, which is native to the northeast region of Spain. But its food is a medley of French, Spanish and Russian cuisine.
A typical restaurant offers Spanish-style spinach with raisins and pine nuts, foie gras and Russian potato salad on the same menu.
We only spent three days in the country but managed to find a "favorite restaurant" called Papanico, located in the heart of Andorra La Vella, the country's capital.
Delicacies such as rabbit stew, snails in tomato broth and garlic squid is considered typical fare at this place.
I can still recall the smell of garlic and grilled seafood that penetrated our nostrils when our waiter brought us food.
That's why, armed with three Spanish cooking books, I set out to make grilled squid for dinner last night. I can't afford to go to Andorra anytime soon, but I can spend $3.99 on squid without worries.
The meal, in my husband's words, proved that I've "taken my culinary skills to a new level."
(in other words the food was good)
If you like grilled calamari, you'll love this meal. It costs around $5, cooks in minutes and is versatile. Best of all, there's little prep work.
Just click on Momentous Occasions by Natasha to see the recipe.

No comments: