Tuesday, November 11, 2008

D-eel-icious eel and pasta with garlic sauce


For the last two weeks I kept eel in the freezer, waiting for a good time to thaw it and cook a Spanish dish from Catalunya called Anguilas con Ajo y Pimiento. This translates into eel with garlic and peppers.
So yes, I cleaned an eel, which is similar to gutting a fish. The big difference is the eel has no rib cage. Once the stomach and intestine are removed I used a paring knife to cut around the bone, more on that in the recipe. My biggest piece of advice on this dish: find a place that sells cleaned eel. If you find it let me know!

The meal was inexpensive since one eel costs $3.29 at the local Asian market. The red peppers were $1.99/lb at the same store. The sauce required no additional expense because I had all the ingredients, but I would estimate the cost of the spices at $1.

Overall, the meal cost around $6 for the eel, pasta, spices and sauce ingredients. Not bad, especially since the leftovers allowed me to pack my husband a lunch and have enough left over for myself.

I made a side dish of pasta and a Garlicky Red Sauce to go with the meal. It turned out quite well. You can find the eel and sauce recipes by clicking on Momentous Occasions by Natasha (on the right side of this page).

No comments: