Thursday, January 29, 2009

A war fit for soup

Have you noticed the soup war between Campbell’s and Progresso?
Commercials from both companies filled with claims the others’ products have MSG, more calories and unhealthy ingredients have aired on television.
As I watch these organizations hurl calorie-ridden insults at each other I want to tell them I choose not to buy either soups.
Instead I head to my local Costco, where I can buy a 6-pack of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. The pack costs $10.49 and contains six 32 Fl. Oz containers of soup.
That’s $1.74 per box.
Campbell’s charges $1.66 for a 26 oz container of condensed tomato soup. Progresso carries a Hearty Tomato soup in a 19 oz container that I bought on sale for $1. Normally it is around $2.
Now I am not saying the Costco soup is similar in nutrition, even though it is “organic”. Each serving (which is a cup) has 110 calories, 2 grams of fat, 10mg of cholesterol and a whopping 720mg of sodium.
Progresso’s soup has 110 calories, 1 gram of fat, no cholesterol but it has 980mg of sodium per one cup serving. Campbell’s serving size is ½ a cup. It has 90 calories, no fat and no cholesterol. But it has 710mg of sodium. If you have a cup of soup, which most people will, you’re consuming 1,420mg of salt. Based on a 2,000-calorie diet that’s 60 percent of your daily value. So, while Campbell’s and Progresso wage their duel, I think the best cost-saving and healthy alternative is Costco’s roasted red pepper and tomato soup.

No comments: