Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sun-dried tomato and parmesan bread


I recently purchased a copy of "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" and gotten a chance to experiment with some of the recipes in the book. My CTO (Chief Tasting Officer) has been quite happy as I pulled baguettes, prosciutto bread, green olive bread and roasted red pepper bread out of the oven.

My latest baking obsession is sun-dried tomato and Parmesan bread. It goes well with rice dishes, tomato based soups and sandwiches. I estimate each loaf cost me $2.50. I bought a can of sun-dried tomatoes for $4.99 and that will yield roughly 4-5 loaves. I also bought a wedge of Parmesan cheese on sale for $2.99. The cheese will probably last for 6 loaves, if not more. I already had the ingredients for the dough.

I will say it takes longer than 5 minutes to make the breads that require a filling because you need to chop the ingredients. I'd estimate it takes 15 minutes to prepare the bread.

I am not going to post the recipe here because it is too complicated and you need to read the book to understand the cooking methods. You can check out http://www.zoebakes.com/ for some of Zoe Francois' recipes and information about the book.

Adding fresh bread to the table is a great way to spruce up a meal, just ask my CTO.

No comments: