Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Castillian Casserole

I am always on the prowl for easy chicken dishes. My husband considers chicken breast bland and tasteless and masking the white meat with enough sauce to make him forget what he’s eating is always a challenge.
A few months ago I discovered a recipe for rabbit braised in pepper and herb sauce in “Spanish Home Cooking” by Miriam Kelen.
The recipe called for 3 lb of rabbit, but noted that chicken could be used instead. The rabbit became a quick success among my friends. I cooked the rabbit for a couple in early December. The two cornered me on New Year’s Eve to tell me they were ready to eat rabbit again anytime.
I was curious to try the dish with chicken, but didn’t want to make the sauce from scratch. Instead I decided to make a “Castillian Casserole” using sauce I had frozen after the last time I made rabbit. (Note, the sauce is really easy to make. I just wanted to see if it could be frozen and still taste good when thawed).
Tonight I made the casserole. It included peas, chicken, cheese, matzo and the pepper and herb sauce. I have no pictures to share from this meal because my husband, the Chief Tasting Officer, ate it too fast.
“Since you like it so much we should take a picture for my blog,” I said at one point.
“But there’s barely any left and I am going to finish this,” he said as he scrambled for the kitchen.
You’d think the camera was going to steal the food!
Check out the full recipe for the casserole on Momentous Occasions by Natasha.

No comments: