Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bake-free pineapple flambe

I have no problems cooking enchiladas, turkey or lamb from scratch, but if you ask me to bake chocolate chip cookies I start to panic.
I was never much of a baker. At my first job out of college the women organized a cookie exchange every year. I purchased cranberries, flour and baking powder with the intentions of making delicious oatmeal cranberry cookies.
Unfortunately they were so hard you could barely bite through them and the bottoms were burned.
If I recall correctly, my cookies were almost untouched at the party.
Oh well.
That's why I am always on the prowl for desserts that involve little or no baking.
I was recently introduced to a wonderful dessert called Postre de Pina y Chile (spicy pineapple-rum flambe). Chef Amalia Damgaard (www.cookparty.com) presented it during a class entitled Latin Holiday Entertaining. She served it with fried cheese, which I don't do because I find that by the time guests get to the dessert they don't want to eat hunks of fried cheese. But if you plan to serve this dessert tapas style, then I suggest including the cheese. I'll post both recipes on Momentous Occasions.

No comments: