Thursday, October 30, 2008

Find cheap steals at exotic stores

I grew up eating caviar sandwiches for lunch, so not much seems exotic to me.
As a native of Kyiv, Ukraine that was the norm. Young children ate caviar sandwiches.
Growing up I'd often accompany my mother to Russian grocery stores in Chicago that displayed fish with heads behind the glass counter.
Although I didn't think about it at the time, someone who has shopped nowhere but Cub Foods may find this experience intimidating.
I urge you not to be afraid.
There are two great stores in the area, Holyland Bakery & Deli in Minneapolis and Ha Tien Groceries in St. Paul, that you should try.
Both offer wonderful deals and interesting foods for the pallet.
Holyland is a Middle Eastern deli that boasts a lunch and dinner buffet, meats, vegetables and wonderful sweets.
At Holyland (http://www.holylandbrand.com/) you can buy day-old bags of pita for $1.99 or 3 for $5. It is a great bargain, especially since many area grocery stores have stopped carrying pita (such as the Rainbow in Coon Rapids!).
The store also sells an assortment of fresh-baked pita chips in flavors like garlic, ranch and Parmesan cheese. At $1.99 for two boxes, they're a delightful steal.
The store also carries a variety of cheeses and olives, all more affordable than what you'd get at Byerly's.
Last, they carry meats. Now their butcher may at first seem frightening, as he doesn't speak English well and scrutinizes all customers. I've learned that's just part of his personality and once he sees you a few times he might even crack a smile.
Everyone who frequents the store seems to know the protocol at the meat counter.
"Can I get three pounds of lamb shoulder cut thin, please," customers say. Everything the butcher needs to know in a short sentence. Brilliant.
You get to watch him select a lamb shoulder and slice it. He might ask you if you want big or small slices-- so be ready with your answer.
The frozen lamb is $2.79 a pound and works great for dishes such as masala or stew.
Same goes for their goat. That's right, GOAT! It is a wonderfully-flavored meat overlooked in the United States. In many countries it is considered a delicacy, so you should try it.
I repeat the same line to the butcher when I go there.
"Can I have 3 pounds of goat leg please." Simple as that.
Now if you're not sure what to do with the meat but are interested in trying this alternative there is a solution in one of the isles right inside Holyland.
It's called Laziza. That's the Middle Eastern version of Hamburger Helper. I usually buy a "Laziza Quarma (meat) Masala" package and follow the instructions on the box. A word of caution about these mixes-- unless you are very tolerant to spicy foods I suggest you only use 1/2 or a third of the packet at a time. The cooking instructions are easy and results delicious. You can use those $1.99 pitas as an accompaniment to the meal.
If Asian food is more your style I suggest checking out Ha Tien Groceries at 353 University Avenue. The store has a great selection of Asian oils, a deli and a self-service seafood deli area. Here you get tongs and a bag so you can pick your own shrimp, fish or blue crab still crawling on ice. Yum!
The prices are great, for example a 7 oz bottle of sesame oil is only $2.19 (compared with $2.99 at Cub Foods). They also have a nice selection of seafood broth, which can be used for shrimp or lobster bisque, for only $1.59.
The store also has plenty of exotics, such as $6.99 for frozen baby octopus and $5.99 for frozen squid. An eel I purchased for $4 at the store sits in my freezer. I plan to use it in a garlic eel with red pepper dish I want to try.
The store also currently sells live blue crab for $3.49/lb. I'd call the store first to make sure they still have some left before making the trip.
The store's deli can also help you with short cuts when making Asian recipes. When I make spring rolls I go there to buy BBQ pork, a pound usually costs about $6. I cut the cooked meat at home and insert it into the rolls. The pound of pork will easily be enough for 20 spring rolls. Then I let my guests compliment me on my cooking savvy. Enough said.
Are there any stores you like to visit for good deals? Or are there stores you'd like to visit but are too intimidated? I'll scout the place out for you, just tell me where.

No comments: